The 4-year old Rolex DP, the 5-year old Dillinger, and the 6-year old Jasmim Plus, the 7-year old Imperador dos Cedros, and the Developing Grand Prix horse Ferrolho became the winners of the 2020 Portuguese Young and Developing Horse Championships held at the national state stud Coudelaria de Alter in Tapada do Arneiro, Portugal, on 13 - 15 November 2020.
Ten combinations contested the 4-year old division and it was former Young Rider team member Yoann Pinto who took the gold aboard the Oldenburg bred Rolex DP (by Radisson x Domani Vengo). The liver chestnut Rolex was second in the preliminary test with 72.667% but aced the second round with 87.00 points, which made him built up a massive lead for the title (79.834 point average). The Pinto family acquired Rolex as a foal from breeder Reinhard Speckels in Germany. The runner-up was the French born Coralie Baldrey aboard the Lusitano Maestro Da Ferraria (by Escorial x Xaquiro). Baldrey, who began riding for Ferraria stables in August, scored a winning 73.467 in the first round and placed fourth in the second round to average 75.434 points for the reserve champion's title.
In the 5-year old division there were seven combinations fighting for the title but it was Joao Sousa Faustino aboard Steffi Neumann's Hanoverian gelding Dillinger (by Diacontinus x Sion) take reigned supreme. Faustino and the grey gelding were undefeated, leaving all competition far behind them. They scored 86.400 points in the preliminary test and 86.400 in the Finals test. They were the only pair to score in the eighties. Pedro Mendes and Liege das Lezirias (by Escorial x Quixote MVL) captured the reserve champion's title with an average of 73.80 points after making a strong push for power in the finals round. They were third in the preliminary test (72.20 pts) and were second in the Finals (75.40 pts).
Five duos were entered for the 6-year old division and international Grand Prix rider Maria Caetano won the title aboard Vasco Francisco Freire's bay stallion Jasmim Plus (by Escorial x Peralta). They were a league of their own, posting winning scores, each time of 86.40 points, for the title. Vasco Mira Godinho and the Lusitano Java da Hermida (by Carrico x Soberano) were the reserve champions. The palomino mare earned 71.800 points in round 1 and 76.800 points in round two to average 74.30 points for second place.
Four pairs competed in 7-year old class for Developing Prix St Georges horses and it was Vasco Mira Godinho who topped the board on the grey Lusitano Imperador dos Cedros (by Rubi AR x Hostil). The duo won the preliminary test with 74.804% and aced the Finals with 72.815% to finish on an average of 73.810 percentage points. Rita Ralao Duarte and the Lusitano gelding Irao (by Rubi AR out of the international Grand Prix mare Oxalis da Meia Lua (by Xaqiero) renewed their reserve champion's title from last year on an average of 71.815%. The duo scored 71.772% and 71.857%.
Only one combination competed in the Developing Grand Prix Horse Championship and that was young rider Catarina Lucas Lopes on her 10-year old Lusitano bred Ferrolho (by Pino x Nanquim). After competing this year at international Young Riders small tour level, Lopes presented her perlino coated Ferrolho at Grand Prix level at these Championships. They scored 64.254% in the Inter II and 65.132% in the short Grand Prix.
Photos © Rui Pedro Godinho
Results - 2020 Portuguese Young Horse Championships - Tapada do Arneiro
- 1. Yoann Pinto - Rolex DP - 72.667 87.000 --- 79.834
- 2. Coralie Baldrey - Maestro Da Ferraria - 73.467 77.400 --- 75.434
- 3. Tiago Albergaria - Maestro - 70.867 78.200 --- 74.534
- 4. Tiago Pereira Prazeres Rocha De Oliveira - Matrix - 70.667 78.000 --- 74.334
- 5. Vasco Serra Fe Mira Godinho - Marques dos Cedros - 73.333 75.200 --- 74.267
- 6. Sarah Alisson Nobre Dos Santos - Bambina Plus - 69.133 76.600 --- 72.867
- 7. André José Brás - Mar Bravo - 70.200 75.000 --- 72.600
- 8. Roberto Brasil - Victory Prime - 70.400 72.000 --- 71.200
- 9. Maria Maneira Cancio - Miestral da Ferraria - 67.467 69.000 --- 68.234
- 10. Bernardo Coelho - Mambo - 65.067 70.800 --- 67.934
- Manuel Falcao Trigoso Vacas Carvalho - Missanga - DNS
- 1. Joao Faustino - Dillinger - 5 81.200 76.400 --- 78.800
- 2. Pedro Mendes - Liege das Lezirias - 72.200 75.400 --- 73.800
- 3. Carlos Eloi Silva Morgado Ferreira - Lizarran - 74.000 71.400 --- 72.700
- 4. Sofia Camejo Mendes Salazar Leite - Furstin Laura - 66.600 68.400 --- 67.500
- 5. Ricardo Reis - Lord Das Faias - 67.400 66.800 --- 67.100
- 6. André José Brás - Lucifer - 65.000 61.400 --- 63.200
- 7. Joao Pedro Galego Cardiga - Lorus- 70.000 ELIM --- 35.000
- 1. Maria Caetano - Jasmim Plus - 86.400 86.400 --- 86.400
- 2. Vasco Serra Fe Mira Godinho - Java da Hermida - 71.800 76.800 --- 74.300
- 3. Francisco Chaves Fraga - Jenjibre - 68.800 68.600 --- 68.700
- 4. Duarte Nogueira - Joba II 66.800 67.600 --- 67.200
- 5. Roberto Brasil - Lord Diamantes - 63.400 RET --- 31.700
- 1. Vasco Mira Godinho - Imperador Dos Cedros - 74.804 72.815 --- 73.810
- 2. Rita Ralão Duarte - Irao - 71.772 71.857 --- 71.815
- 3. Roberto Andre Ferreira Jesus - Indio - 69.797 69.868 --- 69.833
- 4. Pedro Mendes - Iris - 68.300 68.072 --- 68.186
Developing Grand Prix
- 1. Catarina Lucas Lopes - Ferrolho - 64.254 65.132 --- 64.693